Dakota Communications Center will be accepting applications for the following position until February 15th, 2015:
So, you want to be a 911 dispatcher. Here are some things you should know before applying:
|1. The DCC operates 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
2. Dispatchers work days, evenings and overnight shifts as assigned.
3. Dispatchers work a rotating schedule that includes weekends and holidays.
4. Dispatchers are required to wear headsets and uniforms.
5. Dispatchers must be able to spell accurately, speak clearly and hear phone and radio transmissions.
6. Dispatchers undergo an intense training period that lasts 6 – 8 months during which time their shift will mirror that of their trainer. They are required to read and study much material, take written tests, travel to local classes and have their performance constantly evaluated.
7. Schedule modifications are difficult to accommodate, especially during the training period.
8. Leave requests and shift assignments are considered based on seniority.
9. Dispatchers must be cordial and remain calm while multitasking and making decisions in very stressful life-threatening situations.